This ad is expired.
Supervisor of Maintenance, Custodial Grounds
Palo Verde College
Salary: $75,331.00 - $128,841.00 Annually
Job Type: Management/Confidential
Job Number: 252
Closing: 3/1/2024 4:30 PM Pacific
Location: Blythe, CA
Department: Maintenance & Operations
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Palo Verde College is a publicly supported 2-year college located in the beautiful Southeastern California desert. Yearly enrollment is approximately 7,000 students (full and part-time).
Palo Verde Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing an educational environment which affirms and supports diversity in its faculty, staff, and administration, and promoting an environment of inclusion. At Palo Verde College, we value every team member's contribution in achieving the mission of providing excellent educational programs and services that contribute to the success of our students and the vitality of the community we serve. We are looking for individuals who enjoy working collaboratively in an environment of diversity, culture, thinking, and learning. Palo Verde College is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and proudly offers many programs to serve and support our diverse student body.
Palo Verde College is located in the City of Blythe at one of the busiest entrance points to California. The college is located in a desert oasis adjacent to the beautiful Colorado River and the Palo Verde Valley. Blythe, and the fertile Palo Verde Valley, is primarily a farming and ranching area. Boating, fishing and hunting attract many tourists. The Palo Verde Valley is centrally located between Phoenix and Los Angeles, Las Vegas and the Mexican border. The valley's great climate, with more than 350 days of sunshine and mild winters, attracts thousands of winter visitors every year.
NATURE OF THE POSITION
Under the supervision of Director of Facilities & Operations, organize and direct the activities and operations of the custodial, grounds and maintenance divisions throughout the District; inspect and ensure campus buildings and adjacent grounds areas are maintained in a clean, orderly and secure condition; oversee and prioritize work order system requests; train and supervise the performance of assigned custodial, grounds and maintenance personnel; schedule and arrange outside contractors and vendors used by the District for special projects.
Examples of Duties
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and participate in custodial, grounds and maintenance activities at assigned District locations and College sites; confer with site administrators, other departments and outside agencies regarding the care, cleaning, scheduling and maintenance of College buildings, grounds and facilities.
- Train, supervise and evaluate the performance of a custodial, grounds and maintenance personnel; prepare cleaning and maintenance schedules; adjust work schedules to fit the needs of assigned sites; coordinate assignments for substitute personnel; inspect completed work for accuracy and compliance with instructions and established standards; interview and select employees and recommend transfers, reassignment, termination and disciplinary actions.
- Ensure campus buildings and adjacent grounds areas are maintained in a clean, orderly and secure condition; confer with site administrators to assess site needs.
- Provide technical expertise, information and assistance to the Director and administrators regarding assigned functions and building and grounds projects; interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Receive, screen, prioritize and respond to the custodial, grounds and maintenance needs of personnel.
- Communicate with administrators, contractors, personnel and outside organizations to coordinate activities, resolve issues and conflicts and exchange information; schedule and arrange outside contractors and vendors used by District for special projects.
- Serve as a liaison with architects, contractors, engineers, inspectors, agency representative and other personnel involved in District building or repair projects as directed.
- Follow District safety procedures when operating, maintaining and repairing equipment; operate a variety of large and small power equipment such as power washers, vacuum cleaners, polishers, blowers; operate other custodial or grounds equipment as assigned.
- Oversee and prioritize work order system requests; submit work orders for needed facility repairs and supplies; monitor inventory levels of custodial, grounds or maintenance supplies; order, receive, store and distribute supplies and materials as directed.
- Assist in minor maintenance repair work and other projects as assigned; perform periodic visual inspections of building systems.
- Inspect College sites and work completed by custodial, grounds and maintenance personnel for accuracy and compliance with instructions and established standards; report safety, sanitation and fire hazards to appropriate authorities; drive a vehicle to conduct work.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports related to assigned activities and personnel; assist with preparation and expenditures of the annual department budget.
- Respond to or coordinate a response to emergency calls after hours as assigned.
- Operate a computer, assigned software and a two-way radio as assigned by the position.
- Attend meetings and trainings as directed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Principles of training and supervision.
- Proper methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in modern custodial, grounds and maintenance work, and basic plumbing, electrical and carpentry principles.
- Requirements of maintaining buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Principles and practices of administration, supervision and training.
- Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Understanding of sketches, diagrams, blueprints, plans and specifications.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Record keeping and report preparation techniques.
- Inventory methods and practices.
- Basic budgeting practices regarding monitoring and control.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures including CAL OSHA Title 8, 23 and 19.
- Troubleshooting equipment and electrical/mechanical systems.
- Automated work order programs and processes.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Operation of a variety of office equipment including a computer.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Organize and direct the activities and operations of the custodial, grounds and maintenance divisions throughout the District.
- Train, supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
- Confer with site administrators, contractors, vendors and others regarding custodial, grounds, maintenance needs, schedules and concerns.
- Supervise routine custodial, grounds or maintenance activities at assigned College sites or facilities.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Observe and enforce health and safety regulations.
- Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Operate a computer and assigned software.
- Assist with preparation and expenditures of the annual department budget.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Ensure compliance with established rules, guidelines, timelines, regulations and schedules.
- Estimate quantity and types of supplies needed.
- Maintain buildings and adjacent grounds areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
- Operate and maintain a variety of custodial, grounds and maintenance equipment and tools.
- Observe and report safety hazards and need for maintenance and repair.
- Troubleshoot equipment and electrical/mechanical systems.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Plan and organize work.
- High School diploma or equivalent GED.
- Two years of supervisory/management experience in maintenance, custodial and grounds keeping areas.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disabilities and sexual orientation of students, faculty, administrators and personnel.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Valid California Class C driver's license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of custodial equipment.
- Walking or standing for extended periods of time.
- Seeing to perform custodial duties.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling heavy objects.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
- Climbing ladders and working from heights to conduct work.
- Exposure to cleaning agents and chemicals.
- Working on ladders.
- Potential contact with dissatisfied individuals.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Indoor/Outdoor work environment.
- Subject to noise, fumes, dust and odors.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Work evening, weekends or variable hours.
- Emergency call-out.
- This is a Classified Management position.
- Row 4 of the College's Administrator/Management/Confidential salary schedule with placement appropriate to experience.
- The college offers an attractive package of fringe benefits including medical, prescription, dental, vision and life insurance.
Our employment online application process is designed to assist the search committee in evaluating whether or not you possess the required knowledge and skills for the position for which you are applying. Job-related information from all applicants will be evaluated to identify those best qualified. Only the best-qualified applicants will be selected for testing and further consideration. Therefore, the online application must be completed to allow a comprehensive review and evaluation. Failure to complete the online application (and supplemental material, when required) will constitute failure to comply with the selection process and the application will be rejected.
- To guarantee consideration, a completed application and any other required material listed, must be submitted with the online application by the published closing date.
- Applications are only accepted for positions currently open for recruitment.
- Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee you an interview.
- Current employees who are applying for a position should be aware that material from their personnel files will not be included as part of the application packet, and they should provide information on past and present employment in the same degree of detail as any other candidate.
- Applicants wishing to apply for more than one position must submit a separate application and required materials for each position.
- Legible photocopies of documents will only be accepted.
- Travel costs related to the interview process will be borne solely by the candidate.
- Please read the job announcement/description carefully to ensure your background and education meet the requirements of the position
- The selection process may also include practical exercise (i.e., training demonstration and/or other written, technical manipulative, or simulation exercises), or skilled testing to evaluate candidates' qualifications.
- Applicants with foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an Accredited United States Institution, please see the approved organizations listed in the following link: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl635.pdf?sfvrsn=bb4f6e6a_6 or the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services link: https://www.naces.org/
Copies of Transcripts (Must show all work completed and the conferral date of the degree. If hired original transcripts must be submitted)
Six References (3 Professional and 3 Personal)
Professional Licenses (If applicable)
To apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/paloverde/jobs/4383762/supervisor-of-maintenance-custodial-grounds
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency